Monday, September 21, 2009

Change is good

While change is often very difficult in life, it is also a very important part of growing as a person. If I am not willing to change things about my life that aren't working for me, then I will continue to be stuck where I am at that moment.

While there are a few things I am always trying to change about myself, such as being a more patient person, there are a few new things I am working on. First of all, I am trying to consciously put myself on my list of important things to take care of every day. In doing this, I am hoping to finally start taking better care of myself, beginning with my health. I am a smoker, and attempted to quit a little over a year ago, and was successful for about three months, but unfortunately started again. So that is the first thing I am gearing up to try and change about my health. The second thing is my weight, which involves that nasty word- exercise!! I have already begun to make healthier choices in my eating habits, but I know that in order to get the results I want, I am going to have to get off my butt in order to raise my metabolism. I have kick started this by trying to find the time to work out at home 3-4 times a week, and last week I had some extra time in the afternoon so I went for a walk around Skyview in Norfolk. So, in starting with these small changes, I am hoping to start feeling better about myself!

While I had already wanted to start making these changes, what kick started it for me was what I read in Chapter 1 of our books: "Change is not facilitated by being critical of yourself. Change occurs when you are able to view yourself as you are and treat yourself kindly and respectfully". I'm not sure why this is what it took to make me see things in a different way, and I'm not going to question it, I'm just going to go with it and see what happens!

No comments:

Post a Comment